Nourish Your Heart: Diet Chart for Heart Patients
by Dr. Rakesh Sarkar | Published on 02/01/2024
There is no discussion over the fact that heart problems these days are increasing at a rapid rate. It is mainly because of the lifestyle that we are following and also due to the hectic work schedules. In general, we all are involved in so much unhealthy eating and unhealthy habits like smoking and drinking that it becomes difficult for our heart to handle heavy toxins primarily our heart. The way our heart functions, it is entirely depends on the kind of food we are consuming regularly. Hence, it is essential to understand that embarking on a pathway leading to a heart-healthy lifestyle is not just a prescription but also a dedication to ensuring that the heart is nurtured successfully.
It is essential to take care of your heart and overall well-being to lead a healthy and happy life. A heart-healthy diet plays an essential role in managing cardiovascular health. Whether you recuperating from a cardiac occurrence or trying to avert heart problems, including a balanced and nutritious diet helps to improve heart health. If you suspect that you have any heart condition, make sure to book your appointment with the best and highly experienced cardiologists at BM Birla Heart Research Center in Kolkata. It is the only cardiac hospital across the Eastern region offering cardiac healthcare assistance to its patients for decades.
In this blog, you will find a comprehensive discussion on diet charts for heart patients and in general for everyone. Please note that it is for informative purposes only and we do not in any way interfere with the doctor’s consultation.
Why is a healthy diet important for heart patients?
Before we get into the discussion of a diet chart for heart patients, let’s first understand why a healthy diet is important for them. Here are some of the important reasons why one must include a healthy diet in one's daily routine:
- With a regular nutritious diet, you can ensure that your cholesterol levels are in control. A heart-healthy diet helps manage cholesterol and save you from the risk of a heart stroke or an attack.
- If you consume a healthy diet regularly, you can ensure that your blood pressure is in control as it is one of the main risk factors for developing heart problems.
- A diet that is full of nutrition helps in supporting weight management also averting the risk of obesity which is linked to several cardiovascular problems.
- A diet that is filled with anti-inflammatory properties helps in reducing the risk of reducing inflammation.
- Blood sugar levels are also controlled by a regular and nutritious heart-healthy diet.
- Food that is rich in nutrition assists in providing the required vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants required for the body.
- A heart-healthy diet also assists in maintaining the blood vessels' elasticity and supporting healthy blood flow.
- It also helps in enhancing the lipid profile and reduces the risk of amalgamation of plaque.
- A healthy diet contributes to managing overall well-being including reducing the risk of preventing all kinds of heart-related conditions.
What are some recommended cardiac diet charts for heart patients?
Here is the list of heart-healthy eating for heart patients:
- Mediterranean diet which involves whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables
- Dietary approaches to stop hypertension- It is mainly designed to maintain and reduce blood pressure. This diet involves plant-based whole foods that also exclude items like fats, salt, and sugar.
- Healthy U.S. style diet- It is similar to the second diet and often involves foods that are dense in nutrition and restrict sugar, salt, etc.
- Vegetarian whole-food diets- These involve animal protein replacement with sources that are plant-based like nuts or legumes.
What foods should be included in a diet chart for heart patients?
Here is the list of food items that must be included in a diet chart for heart patients:
- Fruits and vegetables: They are proven to be a source of good fibers that are vital to maintaining heart health. So, make sure to include non-starchy vegetables and restrict portion sizes of vegetables like potatoes. You can include apples, blueberries, oranges, peppers, spinach tomatoes, broccoli, and other leafy green vegetables.
- Fish: It has anti-inflammatory properties and omega-3 fatty acids which are proven to be healthy for the heart. You can include fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring, Bluefin tuna, etc.
- Whole grains: Make sure to restrict refined grains and choose whole grains that assist in reducing the risk of heart problems. It has more fiber than refined grains. You can include whole-grain bread, whole-grain pasta, oats, brown rice, etc.
- Nuts, seeds, and legumes: This is one of the best recommendations for heart patients. You can include walnuts, peanuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, chickpeas, lentils, black beans, kidney beans, tempeh, etc.
- Low-fat dairy products: If you have any heart condition or disorder, make sure to restrict products that contain dairy. You must opt for non-dairy products like skim milk, low-fat milk, and low-fat cheese.
- Walnuts: They are the primary source of various micronutrients like manganese, magnesium, copper, etc. As per one study, it is found that it benefits in protecting against serious heart problems. Hence, it should be consumed regularly as it also helps in reducing inflammation and oxidative stress.
- Berries: It involves blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc. Berries contain all the required nutrients and regular consumption helps in promoting heart health. They are rich in antioxidants and also reduce the chances of inflammation in the heart.
In conclusion, taking care of your heart is important to ensure good and healthy well-being. With a heart-healthy diet, you can ensure that your cardiovascular health is in good shape. It doesn’t matter if you are recovering from a cardiac occurrence or averting any heart problems, a balanced and nutritious diet hugely influences your heart health. If you intend to reduce the risk of any heart disease, then make sure to include recommended diet chart items in your routine. It will not only endorse longevity but also will ensure an improved quality of life.