Suffering from Chronic Back Pain: What Might be the Reason
by CMRI | Published on 14/06/2022
Back pain has become a chronic ailment in India. Age is a factor, but so are injuries, an inactive lifestyle, poor posture, diseases, and obesity, among other things. As suggested by our experts from the best spine hospital in Kolkata, knowing the cause of the pain can help in treating the same as soon as possible. This can take a toll on your health, even after 40. Here we’ve discussed a few common reasons that may cause your back pain.
Is this because of my lifestyle?
Your back is vulnerable to harmful behaviors such as:
- You're slouching at your desk.
- Use your back rather than your legs to lift and pull large objects.
- Overweight (being obese)
- Getting enough exercise
- Putting on high heels
- Carrying a heavy backpack
All of these factors can contribute to lower back pain.
Is this because of something I did?
A sudden fall or accident, trauma, or overtraining in the gym can cause moderate to severe stress on your back. Fracture apron or strain may cause the backache you’re suffering from.
- Spine/vertebral fractures: If your back is hit forcefully or you fall from a considerable height, you may have a shattered bone.
- Sprains and strains: Lifting and twisting at the same time, or swinging a golf club at the same time, can pull or tear your back's ligaments, muscles, and tendons.
- Spasms: These are painful muscle contractions. They commonly occur when you hurt or strain your lower back.
Could this be a health condition that may cause back pain?
- Osteoarthritis of the spine: Wear and tear on the spine might cause more acute discomfort at night. This could be due to your reduced activity.
- Sciatica: Certain sleeping postures might cause sciatica. This type of agony frequently shoots down your legs.
- Lumbar (lower back) strains and sprains occur when muscles or ligaments are strained too far. These kinds of injuries are quite common.
- Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is an uncommon kind of arthritis that causes chronic inflammation in the back and neck. Exercise has been shown to improve AS symptoms. They might be especially bad at night.
- Tumors or growths on the spine are uncommon. If the growth exerts pressure on the back, it might make lying down more painful.
- Stenosis of the spine: This ailment can narrow the vertebral column and put pressure on it.
All this in my head- can this be possible?
You may carry your stress in your back, where the muscles feel tense. And if you're also sad or anxious, the discomfort can be excruciating.
What can you do to cope with lower back pain?
Not all causes of lower back pain or discomfort can be avoided. Nonetheless, there are methods you can employ to keep your back healthy and pain-free.
Many specialists recommend the following to prevent pain from worsening:
- Keep a healthy weight.
- Maintain proper posture.
- Avoid actions or heavy lifting that can cause back discomfort.
- Smoking should be avoided. According to certain studies, it may raise the risk of chronic back discomfort.
- If feasible, use ergonomic chairs (designed to improve comfort) at home and at work.
- During the day, alternate sitting postures and take numerous pauses to walk or stretch.
- Wear shoes that are comfortable, low-heeled, and supportive.
Apart from the above-mentioned tips, you should check to see if your back pain reacts to over-the-counter pain relievers, heat, ice, or gentle stretching. Also, evaluate if your pillow or mattress is exacerbating the problem. If these modifications do not help, it is time to consult your doctor.
If you have any questions or would like a second opinion, please contact our professionals at the best spine surgery hospital in Kolkata. Our prestigious medical team will guide you to a better treatment outcome and a pain-free path to greater health.