Department Of Orthopedics & Joint Replacement
The Department of Orthopaedics and Joint Replacement at CMRI Hospital is a hub of excellence offering a vast range of state of the art orthopaedic services for the effective management of various musculoskeletal conditions, in both adults, as well as children. Being the first hospital to offer Robotic-Assisted Knee Surgery in Eastern India, CMRI Hospital caters to the needs of the patients with innovative treatments from across the globe. With leading-edge technology and best-in-class innovations, the department is committed to providing the finest modalities for the diagnosis, assessment, treatment and management of the most complex cases with very high efficiency. All our services are patient-friendly, result-oriented and geared to help the patients get back on their feet.
Our specialists at the department are well equipped to treat any type of orthopaedic ailment. The department is managed by a dedicated team of orthopaedic experts in Kolkata who have years of experience in the field. The team works in close collaboration to devise personalized treatment plans for every patient, thereby ensuring better outcomes.
Our experts specialize in all kinds of procedures, including conventional surgery, minimally invasive procedures, computer navigation and robotic surgery. Rehabilitation is a very significant part of orthopaedic treatment. It serves to improve circulation and enhance the impact of therapy.
The department has dedicated diagnostic labs, a surgical unit, and an ICU facility fully equipped to offer robust care to patients with all-time availability. The team adheres to very stringent benchmarks when it comes to precision and accuracy. We keep your satisfaction at the forefront and cater to your needs in the best possible way.
Treatment & Surgery
Total/ Unilateral (Single) Knee Replacement
- It is the most common orthopaedic procedure, performed to facilitate pain-free movement, by replacing damaged and diseased knee joints with prosthetic components.
- The procedure is recommended for patients with severe joint damage, accompanied by progressive pain and loss of mobility.
- The goal of knee replacement is to relieve pain, improve mobility, and restore function.
- The success of knee replacement depends on many factors, which include leg alignment, position and fit of the implant.
- Modern implants, available nowadays, can last up to 30 years
Robotic-Assisted Knee Surgery
- CMRI is the first hospital in Eastern India to offer Robotic-assisted knee surgery
- It is a new and innovative technique that involves the use of 3D imaging guidance and robotic arms to carry out the knee replacement procedure. The arms are controlled by our experts with the help of a special console.
- The procedure works by reconstructing virtual patient anatomy.
- The procedure offers faster rehabilitation and optimum range of motion, without much compromise on the demands of a routine life
- Robotic-assisted knee surgery comes with many benefits, which include detailed surgical planning, added precision, smaller incisions, greater ligament sparing options, the accurate fit of implant, better positioning and excellent soft-tissue balancing
- Robotic Precession is complemented by the excellence of our surgeons, to give the patient maximum benefit of the operation.
Hip Replacement Surgery
- Hip replacement, also referred to as hip arthroplasty, is another, most successful orthopaedic procedure, offered worldwide, which involves the surgical replacement of severely damaged hip joints with prosthetic components.
- It is usually recommended to patients with femoral fractures and hip arthritis.
- The surgical procedure can be performed on younger patients as well.
- Proper implant choice is crucial
- Modern Dual mobility hip reduces the chances of dislocation to almost nil
- Ceramic implants provide less wear and more durability
- Benefits of hip replacement surgery include increased mobility, alleviated pain and better functionality.
- Revision replacement is a surgical procedure that involves the replacement of worn-out prosthetic components of the primary replacement.
- Revision replacement may also be performed in case of complications such as transplant failure, or infection.
- Increasing life expectancy and active older population is giving rise to the need for revision replacement surgery
- The procedure needs proper planning, specialized tools and special surgical training
Spine and Back Problems
- These include the entire gamut of conditions, ailments and injuries involving the back and the spine.
- The problems can be treated surgically, or with the help of medication and therapy.
- Common spine and back conditions include scoliosis, cervical degenerative disc disease, cervical disc herniation, compression fractures, back pain, lower back sprains, lumbar stenosis, osteoporosis, neck strain, spinal abnormalities and nerve root impingement etc.
- The primary aim of the treatments is to offer pain relief along with enhanced mobility and better functionality.
Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Foot and Ankle surgery is an umbrella term for various surgical interventions that aim at addressing disorders and conditions related to the foot and the ankle.
- It involves the diagnosis, assessment, treatment, management, as well as prevention of a wide spectrum of foot and ankle disorders.
- Some of the common foot and ankle surgeries include Achilles tendon repair, fusion surgery, foot fracture surgery, metatarsal surgery, toe deformity correction, reconstructive surgery for congenital defects or injuries sustained in a trauma.
- Simple procedures may take 3 to 4 months to heal completely, whereas complex procedures may take a full year.
- Shoulder surgery is a collective term for a wide array of procedures that are performed to treat degenerated, diseased and injured shoulders of the patients.
- The procedures can potentially help to relieve pain and restore normal functionality
- Shoulder replacement or shoulder arthroplasty is a type of shoulder surgery that involves the replacement of damaged shoulder joints with new prosthetic components.
- Other common shoulder surgeries include shoulder arthroscopy, rotator cuff repair and soft tissue repair.
- Trauma surgery is a highly specialized branch of orthopaedics dedicated to the assessment, treatment and management of serious, life-threatening injuries, caused by severe trauma or impact.
- Orthopaedic trauma involves serious injuries to the bones, joints and other parts of the musculoskeletal system.
- Common causes of orthopaedic trauma include falling, road traffic accidents, physical violence, natural disasters, collision and rigorous sports.
Elbow and Hand Surgery
- Elbow and hand surgery refers to various surgical procedures that aim at addressing various conditions and injuries related to the elbow and hand.
- Such problems can be caused by an injury, trauma, underlying degenerative disease and normal wear and tear.
- Surgery can help to alleviate pain and enhance functionality. It is often followed by physical therapy for better outcomes.
Sports Medicine & Arthroscopy
- CMRI is well equipped with modern instruments required for any kind of Arthroscopic Surgeries.
- Arthroscopic procedures of the knee, shoulder, elbow, hip, and ankle and also the small joints is offered
- We have a team of experienced Arthroscopic Surgeons holding specialization in handling the most complex procedures
- We offer treatment for any kind of sports injury like ligament and meniscus injury of the knee, recurrent dislocation of the shoulder, Rotator cuff injury, impingement syndrome of the shoulder, frozen shoulder, thrower's shoulder, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, snapping hip etc.
- Arthroscopic procedures are less traumatic with minimal blood loss and shorter hospital stays.
- We have trained Sports Physiotherapists who guide the patient in pre-operative and post-operative rehabilitation.
- Patients can return to their previous sports activity after surgery.
- CMRI Kolkata offers excellent treatment for sports injuries.
Our Clinical Experts
Dr. Anurag Das
Orthopaedic Surgeon Experience: 5+ Years
Dr. Ashok Kumar Das
Senior Orthopaedic Surgeon & Traumatologist Experience: 40+ Years
Dr. Gagan Preet Singh
Paediatric Orthopaedics - Visiting Consultant Experience: 8+ Years
Dr. Kunal Kanti Pal
Consultant - Orthopaedics Experience: 12+ Years
Dr. Manish De
Pain & Palliative Care Specialist Experience: 8+ Years
Dr. Tapendra Nath Sarkar
Senior Consultant Experience: 40+ Years
Dr. Rakesh Rajput
HOD & Director - Orthopaedics Experience: 25+ Years
Dr. Ananda Mandal
Consultant - Orthopaedics Experience: 15+ Years
Dr. Ayan Roy
Consultant - Orthopedics Experience: 13+ Years
Dr. Golam Hashib
Consultant - Orthopaedics Experience: 10+ Years
Dr. Chandrasekhar Dhar
Sr. Orthopaedic & Joint Replacement Surgeon Experience: 32+ Years
Dr. Somesh Deb
Consultant - Orthopedic surgeon
Mr. Pathak Veerendra
Partial Knee Replacement at CMRI
Robot- Assisted Joint Replacement Surgery
Robot- Assisted Joint Replacement Surgery | CMRI Hospital, Kolkata
Knee replacement is one of the most common orthopaedic procedures that involves the replacement of deteriorating knee joints with new prosthetic components. Depending upon the area of the knee joint that is affected, doctors may either recommend partial replacement or total replacement. The former is recommended when only a part of the knee joint is affected and aims at removing only the damaged section while leaving the remaining joint intact. The latter, on the other hand, is recommended when the complete knee joint is affected and needs to be replaced. Offered at the best multispeciality hospital in Kolkata, the procedure has helped hundreds and thousands of people lead pain-free life.
A knee replacement surgery or medically known as total knee arthroplasty is a surgical procedure that involves relieving pain and restoring the normal functionality in a severely ailing knee joint.
Orthopedics is a specialty that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of all musculoskeletal conditions