Sexually transmitted diseases
What are Sexually Transmitted Diseases?
Sexually transmitted diseases are the reproductive health condition among both men and women. The condition occurs due to the transmission of bacteria, viruses, and parasites through sexual contact or intercourse. It is important to assess the condition before it gets complicated to treat. Although, the problem is treatable with general medications and other treatment options.
Usually, individuals who are involved in sexual intercourse with more than one partner experience the issue of sexually transmitted diseases. The primary reason for the transmission is not using the right protection options. It is also important to know that the condition is transmissible through nonsexual contact as well. i.e. mothers to their babies while they are giving birth.
If there is a use of blood transfusions and shared needles that also can cause the condition.
Sexually transmitted diseases types
While there are varied types of sexually transmitted diseases, some common types are there that require particular attention. Here are sexually transmitted diseases types:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID): Pelvic inflammatory disease is an outcome of sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and Trichomoniasis. However, not all these infections particularly cause PID, there are other viruses as well that can be the contributing factor. People experiencing PID can observe the signs such as pelvic pain, heavy bleeding during periods, pain during sexual intercourse, nausea, and unusual vaginal discharge.
- Tertiary syphilis: Tertiary syphilis is also among the sexually transmitted disease types, although it is uncommon and is referred to as STIs or sexually transmitted infections. The infection comprises small sores around different parts of the body such as the mouth, genitals, or anus. The types lead to latent phases when left untreated having no symptoms. It is crucial to note that it can have severe consequences such as vision loss, hearing loss, memory loss, memory health issues, brain or spinal cord infections, and heart disease.
- Cancer: Cancer also is considered to be another sexually transmitted disease as it involves certain Human papillomavirus or HPV. It causes abnormal cell alteration which leads to cancer that can be in any form such as penile cancer, anal cancer, vulvar cancer, cervical cancer, oral cancer, etc. The symptoms might differ depending on which body part is affected. However, the common signs are pain, bleeding, lumps, and swelling.
- Genital warts: Genital warts are the result of HPV strains but in a form of lower risk. They look like skin and bumps are visible on the anus or genitals. There is no cure for this type and is only treatable as the virus either disappears on its own or may remain.
- AIDS: AIDS is also a type of sexually transmitted disease as HIV can disrupt the immune system in the human body and enhances the probability of contracting other viruses and bacteria. With recent advancements in the medical field in terms of treatments specifically, people with HIV are leading a long and healthy life. However, if it is left untreated, then it causes AIDS making the body susceptible to different viruses and bacteria. Individuals with AIDS can experience an issue like fast weight loss, massive fatigue, sores, infections, neurological disorders, and cancers.
Sexually transmitted diseases symptoms
Sometimes, it is complex to identify the sexually transmitted diseases symptoms, so when an individual is symptomatic of the condition, then these are early flags:
- Uneasiness during urination and painful sexual intercourse.
- Observing signs like sores, bumps, and rashes across different parts such as thighs, anus, buttocks, vagina, testicles, penis, and even mouth.
- Rare discharge and bleeding from the genitals i.e. penis or vagina.
- Swelling around the testicles.
- Vaginal itching.
- Unpredictable periods and bleeding after sexual intercourse.
It is essential to know that these are not the only symptoms of STDs, but there can be some that are different. It includes fever, nausea, weight loss, lumps, swelling, fatigue, vision and hearing changes, and recurring pain.
Sexually transmitted disease causes
STDs are generally caused by the transmission of infections and one should be mindful of the causes. So, the causes of the sexually transmitted disease are:
- One of the main causes is bacteria that involve chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis.
- Trichomoniasis is a parasite that causes this reproductive health condition.
- Viruses are one of the primary reasons for sexually transmitted diseases. It involves HPV genital herpes and HIV.
There are other infections such as Hepatitis A, B, and C, giardia, and shigella infection. These infections are transmitted through sexual intercourse, however, it is also transmissible without any sexual intercourse.
When to see a doctor
It is recommended to see a doctor when an individual is often sexually active and earlier has been exposed to sexually transmitted infections. If an individual is noticing the signs and symptoms of STD.
Sexually transmitted disease diagnosis
Sexually transmitted diagnosis are difficult to diagnose based on symptoms, hence the doctor might order tests and assessments. Here is how the doctor might diagnose the disease:
- The first step is a physical assessment to understand the causes
- Second, the doctor will require a sample of bodily fluids through a swab test
- Blood tests are ordered to evaluate the condition efficiently
- The doctor will need a urine sample to confirm the sexually transmitted disease
Sexually transmitted disease treatment
Several sexually transmitted options are available these days. The doctor recommends the treatment only after evaluating the symptoms and understanding the cause behind the problem. Here are some of the treatment options:
- Antibiotics are given as they can help in fighting against bacterial and parasite infections. An affected person needs to complete the course of antibiotics so that the problem doesn’t come back.
- Other topical medications are recommended to treat the problem and reduce the symptoms caused. One must ensure following the recommendations and taking the medications on time.
- Surgery is recommended when the situation gets worse and there are no other treatment options that can be helpful.
- Laser is also suggested in severe cases of sexually transmitted disease as a treatment option.
Sexually transmitted disease prevention
Some tips for sexually transmitted disease prevention are there which include:
- Sexually transmitted diseases can be prevented by having an open discussion on sexual history before involving in sexual activity with your partner.
- Ensure getting regular check-ups for sexually transmitted infections.
- It is important to use protection before getting involved in sexual intercourse.
- The doctor recommends using precautions every time getting in touch with sexual intercourse.
Why should you choose Rukmani Birla Hospital for sexually transmitted diseases?
Rukmani Birla Hospital, Jaipur is among the best state-of-the-art multi-specialty hospitals and is a leading healthcare service provider. We have a strong presence across the city offering advanced clinical care through innovative and proficient services. The use of recent technologies with the latest medical methods and develop protocols to enhance our outcomes ensuring the efficient health of our patients.
We are a NABH-accredited hospital with the most stringent and international quality standards at our hospital. Our professional and experienced doctors are always there to offer the best help and support to the patients as per their requirements.
So, if you aren’t able to comprehend whether you are suffering from sexually transmitted diseases, then reach out to us. We have a particular department for every kind of health condition integrated with doctors holding years of experience in their respective fields.
Can sexually transmitted diseases be cured?
Sexually transmitted diseases are curable no matter what the type of STD is. The doctor recommends taking antibiotics and antiviral medications. However, STDs disappear within no time and at times don’t even show any symptoms.
Can you lead a healthy life with sexually transmitted diseases?
Certainly, you can lead a healthy life with STDs as the condition is curable with regular antibiotics and medications. There are types like HIV that require more attention and care than other types.
What is the most common sexually transmitted disease infection?
HPV or Human Papillomavirus infection is the most common sexually transmitted disease, however, most people don’t experience any symptoms. It can involve certain preventable health effects with vaccination.
Ms. Prerna Rathore
Patient Testimonial - Ms. Prerna Rathore | Rukmani Birla Hospital Jaipur
RBH (Rukmani Birla Hospital) | Patient Testimonial | Deepika Agarwal
Pregnancy journey experience with Gynaecologists & paediatrician at RBH Jaipur
Happy Patient - Mrs. Gargi | Rukmani Birla Hospital Jaipur | Dr. Namrata Gupta | Obs & Gynae
Mrs. Saroj Rani Jain
Patient Testimonial - Mrs. Saroj Rani Jain | Uterine Fibroid Surgery | Dr. Namrata Gupta
Smt. Raajrani Jaiswal
Patient Experience - Smt. Raajrani Jaiswal | Cyst removal from reproductive organ | Dr. Namrata Gupta
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome(PCOS), also known as polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) is a condition that affects the level of hormones in a woman of reproductive age.
Laparoscopic surgery is a minimally invasive, specialized medical technique for performing surgery.
Stitchless single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS) is an advanced technique in the field of minimally invasive surgeries.