What is diabetes?
Diabetes mellitus also known as diabetes simply is a metabolic condition that leads to high blood sugar levels. Insulin- a hormone that is accountable for moving sugar from the blood into the cells to be used as energy. People with diabetes experience issues producing sufficient insulin. If the condition is left untreated, it can cause damage to the eyes, kidneys, nerves, brains, and other organs in the body. It is crucial to be informed about the condition and involve steps beforehand to avert or manage the symptoms.
Types of Diabetes
The different types of diabetes include:
- Type 1 diabetes- It is an autoimmune condition that leads to attacking and destroying the cells in the pancreas.
- Type 2 diabetes- It happens when the body is resistant to insulin and there is a build-up of sugar in the blood. It is the most common diabetes.
- Type 1.5- It is also referred to as autoimmune diabetes in adults which occurs during middle age. It is not curable with lifestyle or any dietary changes and sets in like type 2 diabetes slowly.
- Gestational diabetes- It is high blood sugar during pregnancy and hormones called insulin-blocking causes this type.
The diabetes symptoms are:
- Frequent urination
- Blurry vision
- Unexplained weight loss
- Severe fatigue
- Unhealed sores
- Hunger pangs
- Increased thirst
- Erectile dysfunction
- Poor muscle strength
- Dry and itchy skin
- Urinary tract infections
- Vaginal dryness
Causes of diabetes
There are different causes associated with each type of diabetes:
- Type 1- It is believed that genes play a primary role in some people as there is no exact finding of what causes this type. Doctors are also not certain about the same.
- Type 2- Type 2 occurs because of factors like lifestyle and genetics. Obesity enhances the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Type 1.5- This type occurs when antibodies attack the pancreas and it is also genetic. However, more research is required to understand the exact causes
- Gestational diabetes- This type occurs due to hormonal changes in women. During pregnancy, women become less sensitive to the effects of insulin resulting in high blood sugar.
Complications of diabetes
There are many complications associated with diabetes if left untreated:
- Foot damage such as unhealed sores and infections
- Hearing loss
- Loss of vision
- Heart attack or stroke
- Heart diseases
Diabetes is diagnosed by checking the glucose level in a blood test. The doctor will order three tests to measure the blood glucose level. Here are the tests:
- Fasting plasma glucose test- This test is usually done in the morning for the best results. The doctor asks the patient to fast for around eight hours
- Random plasma glucose test- It can be initiated anytime during the day and there is no need to fast for this test
- A1c test- It is known as the glycated haemoglobin test which measures the average blood glucose level. No fasting is required for this test
- Oral glucose tolerance test- Overnight fasting is required to measure the blood glucose level. Also, the patient will be asked to drink a sugary beverage. Then, the blood glucose level will be checked after one or two hours
The diabetes treatment depends on its type, and how well the blood glucose levels of a patient are managed including other existing health conditions. The following are the treatment options usually recommended to diabetic patients:
- For type 1, it is essential to take insulin daily as the pancreas becomes incapable of producing insulin
- For type 2, the treatment options comprise medications, insulin, and lifestyle changes like maintaining weight, eating healthy, and exercising daily
- The prediabetes treatment goal is averting diabetes from progressing. The treatment options are losing weight, eating healthy, and exercising.
- Gestational diabetes is treated by modifying the diet and getting the patient involved in regular exercises. If this option is not working, then the doctor will use medication or insulin as a treatment option
Oral medications and insulin is given to treat diabetes and for:
- Pancreas stimulation so that it can produce and release insulin
- Slowing down the glucose release from the liver
- Blocking the carbohydrate breakdown in the stomach
- Helps the body to get rid of glucose through a frequent urge to urinate.
Why should you choose Rukmani Birla Hospital for diabetes treatment?
Rukmani Birla Hospital- a multispecialty healthcare service in Jaipur is well-resourced with up-to-date and current medical services delivering incomparable patient care. We have integrated a team of highly skilled and practised professional doctors and other staff members in our hospital. They confirm diagnosing the condition and analysing it so that the correct treatment is offered to the patient. If you are diagnosed with diabetes, then consult our healthcare professionals. You will find the finest treatment under the observation of our experts.
Happy Patient | Treatment of Diabetes | CK Birla Hospitals | RBH Jaipu
Diabetes is a very common disease which is caused when the blood glucose level of the body rises beyond acceptable levels.
थायराइड रोग से जूझ रही महिला खुद में अनेक लक्षणों को अनुभव करती है जिसकी मदद से उसे या डॉक्टर को इस बात का अंदाजा हो सकता है कि वह थायराइड रोग है।