Department Of Internal Medicine
The Department of Internal Medicine at CMRI offers comprehensive primary care services for the non-surgical management of a wide spectrum of diseases, ailments and conditions, along with holistic care to patients suffering from a broad range of ailments.
The department is well equipped with the latest technologies and offers the best treatment plans for the management of acute and chronic health conditions in children, as well as adults. Internal medicine marks the foundation of all the medical super specialities at CMRI, and we have a dedicated team of internists to ensure that this foundation is second to none.
With years of expertise and clinical excellence, our internists offer a holistic approach towards addressing any ailment and work in close coordination with specialists from varied specialities to curate the finest treatment plans for the patients. Our experts are immensely trained and skilled to handle the most complex cases.
The team adheres to stringent benchmarks of quality, and always keeps your safety at the forefront. Our experts guide you on every step of your journey towards recovery, thereby giving you a hassle-free experience.
The team also focuses on spreading awareness and educating the patients with expert counselling sessions. We constantly strive to offer personalized and effective care to all the patients with all-time availability.
Areas of Specialization:
- Adolescent medicine is mainly concerned with medical, social, sexual and emotional issues faced by small children and teenagers.
- It deals with problems like reproductive health, eating disorder, substance abuse, irregular periods, mood swings, actually transmitted diseases, and birth control.
- Adolescence medicine also deals with mental illnesses like anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.
- The treatments go beyond medicine and include therapies and counselling.
- This involves the prevention diagnosis and management of various cardiovascular diseases using a non-surgical approach
- The treatments are catheter-based and performed with the help of detailed imaging guidance. Test procedures are often referred to as cardiac catheterization procedures.
- Internal medicine can be applied to addressing conditions like chronic coronary heart disease, arrhythmia, acute myocardial infarction and congestive heart failure.
- Internal medicine also involves the evaluation of the patient's medical history, physical examination, laboratory testing and screening.
Endocrinology, metabolism and diabetes:
- It is a branch of internal medicine that deals with the diseases and ailments of the endocrine system, which is responsible for the secretion of various vital hormones.
- Endocrine problems are usually a result of excessive or insufficient secretion of a hormone. It can also be a result of the inability of the hormones to carry out their functions properly
- Common endocrine problems include diabetes, hypothalamic disorders, pituitary diseases, parathyroid diseases, thyroid problems, adrenal cortex dysfunction, gonadal diseases, bone metabolism, etc.
- Gastroenterology deals with the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract
- Internal medicine offers non-surgical treatment modalities like endoscopy.
- Common gastrointestinal problems include oesophagus disorder, inflammatory bowel disease, Wilson's disease, and functional bowel disorder
- Haematology deals with the diagnosis and management of various diseases, disorders and malignancies, which affect the blood, bone marrow and lymphatic systems
- Common conditions include anaemia, clotting problems, blood cancers, infections and congenital disorders
- Internal medicine can be used in the diagnosis, prevention and management of various infections.
- This is a highly specialised branch that requires a detailed understanding of various microbial agents.
- Certain infectious diseases can be easily managed by vaccination.
- Common infection-causing agents include bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites.
- Medical oncology is a branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and management of malignant and benign neoplasms.
- It deals with the assessment of various risk factors, investigation of the symptoms, staging of cancer and treatment via a non-surgical approach.
- Internal medicine can be applied in the diagnosis and management of various rheumatic and musculoskeletal conditions.
- Common conditions include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, spondyloarthropathies, vasculitis, polymyalgia rheumatic, polymyositis, osteoporosis, and fibromyalgia.
- Geriatric medicine primarily focuses on catering to the medical needs of older patients and addresses complex health issues, that call for the need for specialised care.
- It aims at promoting good health by offering various non-surgical modalities for the prevention and treatment of a wide spectrum of diseases and disabilities in the older population
- Common conditions include cognitive impairments, bladder and bowel incontinence, visual impairment, hearing problems, etc.
- It involves the diagnosis, treatment and assessment of problems related to the Kidneys and associated structures.
- Internal medicine focuses on addressing primary kidney disorders as well as the systemic complications of kidney dysfunction.
- General internal medicine practice includes the prevention and identification of kidney diseases in early stages and their timely management.
Pulmonary diseases and sleep medicine:
- Pulmonary medicine is concerned with the diagnosis and management of ailments concerning the lungs and associated structures.
- It deals with structural abnormalities, inflammatory diseases, infections, pulmonary vascular diseases, neoplastic disorders, and occupational and environmental impact on the lungs.
- Common conditions include asthma, chronic obstructive lung disease, lung cancer, pulmonary hypertension, tuberculosis and cystic fibrosis.
- Sleep medicine focuses on private problems related to sleep, which include sleep apnea and insomnia.
- Sports medicine primarily aim at offering various non-surgical modalities for treating and preventing injuries. It also focuses on the physical fitness of the individuals.
- It involves injury prevention, assessment, of acute injuries, exercise rehabilitation and training advice.
Critical care :
- Critical care medicine focuses on the management of critically ill patients who require intensive care.
- This also involves very complicated ethical and social issues including end-of-life decisions, counselling of the patient and family members, and advance directives.
- Critical care medicine also focuses on palliative care for terminally ill patients, such as those suffering from end-stage cancer.
Treatment and Surgeries
Chronic and Acute illnesses
Our Clinical Experts
Dr. Rajarshi Sengupta
Consultant Experience: 23+ Years
Dr. Mahesh Kumar Chowdhury
Consultant - Internal Medicine Experience: 32+ Years
Dr. Suman Mitra
Consultant Experience: 10+ Years
Dr. Sujoy Mukherjee
Consultant Experience: 18+ Years
Prof.(Dr) Sukumar Mukherjee
Consultant Experience: 20+ Years
Dr. Dhruba Bhattacharya
Consultant Experience: 14+ Years
Dr. Biswarup Lahiri
Consultant Experience: 20+ Years
Mrs. Sumita Dutta
Dengue Patient successfully treated by Dr. Suman Mitra and his team
The family of our patients, share their experience
The family of our patients, share their experience at CMRI under Dr. Sujoy Mukherjee | CMRI