What is pain management?
Pain is the most common symptom of several diseases, disorders, injuries and conditions an individual comes across in his/her life. It can be a result of some treatment for any condition or disease. It can last for a short time and go away once a person is healed or it can last for years and months. Pain management is the solution to assess, diagnose, and treat diverse types of pain.
Pain management comprises a multidisciplinary approach and involves doctors from varied specialities like neurology, orthopaedics, anaesthesiology, etc. It can be simple or complex depending on the pain it causes.
Types of pain
The different types of pain include:
- Acute: It is sharp and is usually a result of an injury. This can occur from a muscle spasm, burn, bone fracture, or any incident. Disorders or conditions like appendicitis, and shingles can also cause this type of pain.
- Chronic: It is a type of pain that lasts for more than six months. It is a consequence of an injury or disease which is left untreated. Conditions like fibromyalgia, or arthritis can cause this type of pain.
- Nociceptive: It is also known as nerve cell endings which send pain signals to the brain if there is any injury. It occurs when an individual breaks his/her bone, bumps their head, or pulls a muscle. It can be sudden, long-lasting, and short-lived affecting the musculoskeletal system.
- Neuropathic: When there are issues with the nervous system it causes this type of pain. It occurs when nerves give pain signals to the brain by mistake, even when there is no damage. Conditions like multiple sclerosis, diabetes, and HIV can cause this type of pain.
Signs you need to see a doctor for pain management
It is vital to consult a pain management specialist if you observe that the pain:
- Causes stress, depression, and anxiety
- Not able to relax or sleep
- Prevents an individual from exercising or involving in usual activities
- Not improving with any treatments
- When it is not going away and its more than two weeks
What are the types of pain management?
There are several ways to treat different types of pain. If an individual is experiencing severe pain or is long-term then there may be a team of pain management specialists working together. The doctor might suggest one approach or a combination of various techniques for pain management. It might include:
- At-home remedies: It helps to relieve pain which is a result of injury to muscles, bones, and soft tissues. The doctor will recommend the RICE method which is rest, ice, compression and elevation.
- Exercise: The doctor usually suggests an individual to include different exercises for pain relief such as tai chi, yoga, Pilates, walking, or swimming. It also helps in improving posture.
- Hands-on treatments: Some people find relief from different hands-on treatments such as acupuncture, chiropractic adjustments, and osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT). It reduces pain and enhances body alignment.
- Counselling and therapy: This type of pain management involves cognitive behavioural therapy and biofeedback. It benefits in managing chronic pain by changing the way the mind reacts to physical distress.
- Injections and stimulations: The doctor might recommend radiofrequency ablation, transcutaneous, and electrical nerve stimulation for pain relief. Steroid injections are also used directly on the painful area.
- Lifestyle changes: There are some lifestyle changes recommended by the doctor. For instance, if an individual is overweight, then he/she will be asked to lose weight. Eating a balanced diet, drinking water, getting enough sleep, and managing stress are some lifestyle changes which assist in managing chronic pain.
- Medications: Depending on the type of pain, a doctor recommends certain over-the-counter medications to relieve pain and uneasiness. Antibiotics are given for treating infections, anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce swelling, and muscle relaxers for spasms. It is recommended to follow the doctor’s instructions when taking the medications.
Why should you choose Rukmani Birla Hospital, Jaipur for pain management?
Rukmani Birla Hospital, Jaipur is among the hospitals that have received NABH accreditation offering incomparable care to its patients. With our state-of-the-art technology and advanced clinical equipment, we ensure delivering precise and economical healthcare services and treatments. We have integrated departments for every health condition following a multidisciplinary approach.
If you are in the best hospital for pain management in Jaipur, then make sure to reach our specialists. They will do whatever they can to offer you the best treatment.
What are the benefits of pain management?
Considering pain management on time will ensure that you are feeling better mentally and physically. You can lead an improved quality of life and can function like before.
Are pain management plans effective?
It is important to understand first that it may take a while for you to feel comfortable and better completely depending on the pain cause and treatment you are receiving. The pain management plan is effective only if you ensure working closely with your healthcare expert and adjust the plan if you think that your needs are different.
Our Clinical Experts
Dr. Lalit Modi
Additional Director Experience: 11+ Years
Mr. Mukesh Bansal
Joint Replacement surgeon Dr. Vivek Sharma | Ortho Patient shares his experience RBH Jaipur
Ms. Mamta Bakiwala
Knee replacement surgery | Patient Testimonial | Rukmani Birla Hospital, Jaipur
Ms. Usha Vyas
Hip replacement surgery | Patient Testimonial | Dr. Aashish Sharma | Rukmani Birla Hospital Jaipur
RBH (Rukmani Birla Hospital) | Patient Testimonial | Dulhi Chand
Eshaan Singh Chauhan
RBH (Rukmani Birla Hospital) | Patient Testimonial | Eshaan Singh Chauhan
RBH (Rukmani Birla Hospital) | Patient Testimonial | Sangam Yadav | Dr. Ashish K Sharma
Tennis elbow, medically known as lateral epicondylitis, is a form of tendinitis that affects the tendons of the elbow area.
Arthroscopy is a surgical technique in which a tube-like instrument is inserted into a joint to inspect, diagnose, and repair tissues.
Total knee replacement or popularly known as the knee replacement surgery is a surgical procedure to relieve pain and restore normal function in the severely ailing knee joint.