What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is the branch of dental speciality that involves focusing on aligning the bite, also known as malocclusion and teeth straightening. The way teeth fit together has a huge impact on overall oral health. One can reduce the risk of oral health issues by improving the upper and lower teeth alignment. The most common treatment options for orthodontics are braces, clear aligners, and retainers. Orthodontists offer treatment for oral health issues like cavities, gum disease, and excessive wear. They usually put their focus on improving the bit and don’t perform treatment related to general dentistry such as fillings, crowns, and bridges.
Types of orthodontic problems
There are various types of orthodontics problems such as:
- Crooked teeth
- Rotated teeth
- Overlapping teeth
- Overlapping teeth
- Impacted teeth
Benefits of orthodontics
Orthodontics offer various functional and health-related benefits which are:
- It is easy to clean teeth when they are properly aligned
- Teeth straightening is helpful in improving the function of speech and chewing
- Orthodontic treatment also helps with easing pain linked to TMJ disorder
- It is easy to prevent the risk of cavities, gum disease, and other oral health issues with an aligned bite
- Orthodontic treatment is useful in maintaining and achieving the beautiful and healthy smile
Orthodontics treatment options
There are different orthodontic treatment options but the most common ones are:
- Braces- It helps in shifting the teeth into the desired position over time with the use of wires, bands, and bracket combinations. Types of braces such as traditional metal braces and clear (ceramic) braces are available according to an individual’s needs.
- Clear aligners- They are the famous alternative braces. In this treatment, there is no need of using wires and brackets for teeth straightening as it involves the custom-made series and clear aligner trays. With time, clear aligner trays help in shifting the teeth into their correct position.
- Retainers- Once the braces treatment ends, the patient requires a retainer if he/she wears braces or clear aligners. It is a custom oral appliance which helps in keeping the teeth from drifting out of their positions.
- Palate expanders- It is usually recommended during childhood because the growth of a child’s facial bones is still in process and it is easy to move them and manipulate them accordingly. A palate expander is useful in widening the upper jaw of a child’s face. Usually, these expanders aren’t required but in some cases, they can create additional space without the tooth extractions needed or other procedures.
Why should you choose Rukmani Birla Hospital for orthodontics treatment?
Rukmani Birla Hospital Jaipur, one of the best multi specialty hospitals, commits itself to fulfil the standards of care for its patients. With our team of highly skilled and experienced orthodontic doctors, we make sure to avert complications during the treatment and offer the best oral healthcare services. We are dedicated to offering you the most excellent services during your journey with us for treatment.
What are orthodontic bands?
Orthodontics bands are rings which are outfitted across the back teeth while constructing the braces set. They are used to ensure firm support to the archwire running along the brace span.
What is the difference between endodontics and orthodontics?
Endodontics involves focusing on the treatment of the root canal while orthodontics specialises in teeth straightening and fixing malocclusion issues.